A rare original wartime period 'Timber Corps' badge for the girls known as the 'Lumberjills'; fine quality die-stamped example identical to the rare plastic economy version only smaller in size, the reverse with maker's details 'Walker & Hall Ltd, Sheffield'. Retaining original pin fitting.
The 'Timber Corps' was established in 1942 and came under the 'Ministry of Supply' as a special section of 'Women's Land Army' to solve the increased demand for timber. They worked in the forests felling trees and also in the sawmills and wore identical uniform to the WLA except the felt hat was replaced by a green beret and Timber Corps badge. They were disbanded in 1946.